Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Idea Validation & Business Sandbox Concepts

In my latest quest for business wisdom, I came across two new concepts that really got me thinking. Maybe the business terms below are not new to you, but they are to me. Let me share these with you:

New Concept #1: "Idea Validation" for business ideas
Very helpful link: http://www.sramanamitra.com/clarify-your-story-excerpt/

New Concept #2: The Business Idea or New Product "Sandbox"
No link here, unless I can link to my husband's IT industry brain!

I suppose I can't say that idea validation is a new concept to me - just a new term for an old issue that we all deal with as business people. Tammy and I always joke that we have I.D.D. - Idea Distraction Disorder! As idea people, we have a challenge; validating these new ideas to figure out if, in fact, they will land as great opportunities or if they should keep flying by.

Brainstorming and masterminding sessions are great ways to solicit feedback from others on business ideas and plans. Other ways include researching the market, surveying potential customers and prayer. As Godly women, we realize that God ideas are the ones that should move forward, not just good ideas!

Apparently "the sandbox" idea has been around for a long time in the technology industry. My husband and his co-workers use "the sandbox" concept when they are working on a new product launch or have a new system or tool. The sandbox is where they meet (usually virtually) to "play" with stuff to see what works and what doesn't. I love that image of adults coming to a sandbox, sitting down and testing things out and experimenting. Build it up, work with it, reshape it, move it around, tear it down, etc.

How can you use the sandbox concept in your business or career? What do you need to test out or play with and allow others to interact with? Actually, I can clearly see how these two concepts can work together quite nicely. Bring new ideas to a sandbox and watch how they transform.

Please comment and let us know your thoughts!

by Krista Dunk, http://www.kbwomen.com/ http://kbwa.memberlodge.com/

No comments: