Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Creating Business Videos - Starring You!


Would you like to create video clips for your website or blog? Maybe have your own online TV channel? Last month when I went to Philadelphia for an author's conference, I met several people who wanted more information about how to make their own videos. I explained my process, and thought you might find it helpful too.

In 2010, I've started creating video clips, and to be quite honest...I'd rather talk to live people! But, with practice, my video recordings are improving bit-by-bit. Before I started creating videos, practicing with audio recordings was my first step. By the way, I use http://www.freeconferencing.com/ as my audio recording service. It's free, and recordings can be easily shared and downloaded as needed.

If you are ready for video, here are the steps I use so you can see the whole process:

  1. Purchase a Flip-Video camcorder. Small and easy to use, they plug right into your computer to directly download your video clips. Software is included with each camera! Cost - $100-200. Note - Some laptops already have built-in webcams you could use to record!

  2. Write an outline or script of what you'd like to say. Whether you prefer a more spontaneous style, or scripted, this will help keep you on track. Note - Glance at notes occasionally, rather than reading from them.

  3. Set yourself up in a well lit area, and do test shots. Adjust the camera's placement as needed so you are centered and well lit. Note - Eliminate background noise.

  4. Record your message several times.

  5. Download the videos onto your computer and pick your favorite. Edit as needed using the software that is included. You can easily crop off unnecessary portions of the beginning and end of the clips.

  6. Create a YouTube channel for free at www.YouTube.com, and upload videos to your channel. Note - Uploaded videos can't be more than 10 minutes long. Click here to visit KBWomen's YouTube channel.

  7. Embed the video code into a blog or website, and/or share the video with others via email. Done!

Think about what questions your audience/clients/prospects have right now. Could you answer them in video? Could you record a short video (or audio) welcome message? Do you have a series of teachings or trainings you could introduce with video? Video is a great way for people to feel more personally connected with you.

Feeling nervous about it? Don't worry - so did I at first. If I can do it, I know you can too. Think of it as a great way to develop a new skill, and practice your presentation skills at the same time. Let a trusted friend view them and give you feedback along the way. You're going to be great!

Posted by Krista Dunk, http://www.kbwomen.com/

No comments: