Friday, February 26, 2010

Reality-based Marketing: 5 Objections You Can Overcome with Testimonials


Article reprinted here with permission from Judy Dunn, Cat's Eye Marketing http://catseyemarketing.com/

Have you ever read every testimonial on a business's website and still had your doubts about the product or service?

It might not work.
It might cost too much.
Can I trust this person? Because I've been burned before.

All legitimate objections.

You can write the best marketing copy in the world, but if you don't address your customer's burning question, and in a way that is believable, that lingering doubt can kill the sale.

A good testimonial, one that speaks to your prospect's biggest fear, can bring them over to the customer side. Because it's not you talking. It's a customer who had the same doubt your prospect has, but whose story had a happy ending.

First, you need to identify the reasons your prospect may be wavering (that's the topic of this week's e-tip) and then develop questions that get the answers from your current customers that will address those objections. (See next week's e-tip for how to collect them.)

5 Objections You Can Overcome with Testimonials

1. It's too expensive.
What they really mean: You haven't shown enough value for the price or the competition is selling a similar item or service for less.
Sample testimonial: "I had heard that XYZ Company's accounting services were exceptional, but I was afraid I couldn't afford them. They saved me $15,000 in the first three months and I am still way ahead, even deducting what I paid for their services."

2. It's hard to use or understand.
What they really mean: I'm afraid I won't get my money's worth.
Sample testimonial: "I bought a lot of audios and CDs on becoming a better copywriter but I found the process described in each one to be complex, hard to understand and difficult to apply. Kevin's "30 Days to Improved Copy" spelled out exactly what I need to do to put together marketing copy that actually motivates my prospects to buy."

3. I don't believe you.
What they really mean: I don't trust you. I've been taken advantage of before by businesses that don't deliver on their promises.
Sample testimonial: "It's easy to make promises to your customers and I've been on the receiving end of inferior products and services. But my experience with ABC Company was nothing but pleasant. I can tell you that there is a face behind the company and that Sandy answered every question I had and delivered a website that is already turning more leads into customers."

4. I don't think your product or service will work.
What they really mean: I've tried all kinds of solutions that didn't work. What if this is another one?
Sample testimonial: "At first I was skeptical because I've tried a lot of skin products that promised to make my wrinkles less prominent, but I just ended up dumping them. Finally I found something that works! New Hope facial creams and moisturizers are amazing."

5. There is nothing new here.
What they really mean: I've been around the block and I don't need your product or service. I already know everything you want to show me how to do.
Sample testimonial: "I used to think I knew everything there was to know about developing my executive team's leadership skills. I have a Master's in leadership development and have been a senior level manager for 15 years. But Elizabeth just had a way of cutting to the core issues. She improved my team's sales revenue records by 30 percent in the first four months."

Do your customers have doubts that are keeping them from buying? What might they be?

Stay tuned for next week's e-tip on how to collect testimonials that overcome your prospects' biggest objections.

Thank you Judy! Excellent advice for all of us. To find out more about Cat's Eye Marketing, visit http://catseyemarketing.com/ today!

No comments: