Friday, February 4, 2011

Live Through Menopause by Loving Yourself

Most women spend their teenage years and their 20’s going through a stage of self-discovery. Ironically enough, when we enter perimenopause and menopause, that stage comes back – with a vengeance!

So many times I felt alone during perimenopause and menopause (I call it PM&M), except, of course for the SUMO wrestler in my head. You might have one too. He’s that big, scary guy, telling me horrible things, like; “You’re getting old and wrinkled”, “You’re not smart anymore” and “You’re already fat, so you might as well finish all that cookie dough and skip baking the cookies.”

In the end, my perimenopause and menopause journey actually taught me to look at some of the dysfunctional relationships in my life – like the one I had with food – and how to treat them with kindness.

Now, when my SUMO jumps in my face and begins yelling at me, I try to minimize him. I make him smaller in my mind. Over time, he keeps shrinking.

Being aware of your SUMO is so helpful because he shows up a lot! Forget the unrealistic dieting goals. Simply take care of yourself and your body in a way that brings you a sense of peace and calm. Love yourself, and when you look in the mirror every day this year, and for the rest of your life, reconnect with the beautiful person that you are, and say, “I am fabulous!” If you don’t believe it the first time, say it again, “I am fabulous!”
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"E" is the pen name of Ellen Sarver Dolgen, author of Shmirshky: the pursuit of hormone happiness, a light-hearted, informative, easy-to-read book on menopause, and creator of http://www.shmirshky.com, a resource treasure trove for women going through perimenopause and menopause. E stands for everyone because everyone goes through menopause or knows someone who does. Ellen is passionate about promoting health and wellness in America. She currently serves on the Community Advisory Board of Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla. She has served on boards, committees, and chaired numerous events for Fresh Start Women’s Foundation, Angel Charity for Children, San Diego Hospice. Brandeis University, the Phoenix Heart Ball, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Weizmann Institute of Science, Brewster Auxiliary, and Handmaker Home for the Aging. Ellen’s lifelong commitment to philanthropy through board representation, fundraising, and event organization continues with her founding of Shmirshky Universal, which aims to promote women's health and well being around the world. For more information, visit http://www.shmirshky.com.

No comments: