Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Waiting on God

by guest writer Deborah Lautt

I am a woman who hates to wait. Waiting in lines, waiting for returned phone calls, waiting in traffic jams- I painfully dislike any form of waiting! Waiting can be a very difficult thing to do, especially in our Western "going, going, going", and on-the-spot, ultra-achieving society. How is it that such a biblical task as "waiting" can have such an imminent reward every time it's used? I am such an "instant gratification" character that I think this is the paradox that attracts me to this repetitive biblical principle. To think that because such great and powerful things come out of "waiting on God", I'm actually starting to enjoy it with expectancy!

Throughout the Bible, different characters met obstacles that required the tough discipline of "waiting". So, what does it mean to "wait on God?" When David sings how "truly (his) soul waiteth on God" Ps. 26:1, the literal translation is "truly my soul is silent upon God." This is our soul, in utter hush and quietness, casting itself upon the Father of our very hearts. Two books later, his own son, Solomon, echoed the Lord's voice.

"Blessed is the man who heareth me, watches daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors." Ps. 8-34

The thought here is that of a servant and his master. The slave may have no work or service to do at the moment, but he continually waits at his master's door, knowing that at any moment, the door may swing and his master may say, "My servant, I need you." So, likewise, I need to always be prepared at the "door" of my Father, whether it be for a job, a task, a wonderful call to be a wife, or even something so great my mind cannot fathom. I believe it is the attitude of readiness and obedience that God desires, that we might be able to avail ourselves for His sake whenever we're called, or at any given moment. No matter how long it takes, the patient, or the "waiters" in life need to keep their eyes on God, in prayer, in the Word, and on His principles. They're always true. And, while we're waiting for our answers to reveal themselves, try serving. It's always better to give than to receive. Give to the widows and orphans. Mentor those who don't have anyone to train them. Try to carve some time in your day to serve, or spend some time with someone who hasn't any hope. Waiting on God while "waiting on" others will never go unrecognized, or unreciprocated.

Through Solomon, the Holy Spirit concludes in Prov. 8:36 with the costly reminder that whoever "sins against me wrongs his own soul", and that "all those who hate me love death." Surely I want to choose the way of waiting on God than to rush into my own ways and fulfill that verse's negative outcome. The worldly saying, that "haste makes waste" surely originated from God's flawless Word. Oh, that I might always choose the Lord's narrow, sometimes more uncomfortable gate instead of the broader, quicker, and more convenient one!

The most encouraging verse in the Bible regarding my hopes for my vision's outcome is possibly Habakkuk's 2:3. I'm always humbled by this minor prophets' honesty in questioning, and his "impatience" for God's holy outcome. God is telling us each personally through this pillar in the faith to "write the vision (of our hearts' desire) and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; Because it will surely come, it will not tarry." Not only have I written my vision and dreams in a memoir, or, "tablet", but I pray over the written vision regularly. The Lord honors the faith of His righteous brides. In addition to that, Paul reaffirms his sisters that "the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, 'The just shall live by faith'."

Women, believe God for bringing your children back. Believe God for financial breakthrough for your household. Believe God to answer your many prayers for your husband's salvation. As you prayerfully wait on God, it won't be impatience or our actions that moves your mountains. It will only be the God of our hearts Who is moved through your faith of waiting on Him. God bless your faithfulness, of which He's always mindful.

No comments: